Not All Staple Line Reinforcements are the Same
Successful outcomes are dependent on a combination of key considerations including:
- Staple line reinforcement type
- Stapler type
- Stapler technique / cartridge selection
- Several other key surgical technique variables, including: oversewing technique, adequacy of the fundus resection, resection distance to the GE junction, and cural repair
GORE® SEAMGUARD® Bioabsorbable Staple Line Reinforcement has an established product history and is proven to reduce leaks in sleeve gastrectomy, significantly reduce bleeding, and reduce financial risk.
When it comes to leak rates, FACTS MATTER.
When GORE® SEAMGUARD® Bioabsorbable Staple Line Reinforcement is used, there is a clear reduction in leaks and bleeding.
GORE® SEAMGUARD® Reinforcement is the market leader, and after 60+ clinical papers, 13 years, and more than 2.5 million devices, we’re confident in the data, our established product history, and the positive patient outcomes.
Clear Reduction in Leaks and Bleeding
An extensive systematic, peer-reviewed, published paper2 reviewed the majority of these studies, comparing different buttressing materials in different patient populations, demonstrated:
Results: “The use of an absorbable buttress material during performance of sleeve gastrectomy reduces the incidence of postoperative leaks by 3 fold.” - Gagner2
Conclusions: “The current systematic review of 88 studies representing 8,920 patients found that APM [GORE® SEAMGUARD® Reinforcement] staple-line reinforcement was associated with a significantly lower leak rate than oversewing, BPS reinforcement, and no reinforcement.2”
- Gagner M, Brown M. Update on sleeve gastrectomy leak rate with the use of reinforcement. Obesity Surgery 2016;26(1):146-150.
- Gagner M. Meta-analysis of leaks following laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Presented at the XVI World Congress of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO); August 31-Sept 3, 2011; Hamburg, Germany. Obesity Surgery 2011; 21(8):958. Abstract PL02-05.
Comparison of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy leak rates in four staple-line reinforcement options: a systematic review