For each migration the patient must undergo a new intervention for additional stent placement. With typical ERCP interventions costing $4,649, this can end up costing the hospital significantly.
- BOSTON SCIENTIFIC WALLFLEX Biliary RX Fully Covered Stent has reported up to 13% migration rate (n = 156)1
- GORE® VIABIL® Biliary Endoprosthesis reported migrations ranging from 0 to 1.4%1
Migration as well as lack of patency require additional intervention, resulting in additional hospital stays and increased hospital costs.
Potential economic impact
If GORE® VIABIL® Biliary Endoprosthesis was used to treat 100 patients with unresectable malignant biliary strictures, your institution is estimated to annually:
Eliminate 16 reinterventions due to migrations and reduced patency, and save $116,716 versus using BOSTON SCIENTIFIC WALLFLEX Biliary RX Fully Covered Stent.
The average cost of a hospital inpatient ERCP with stent placement for patients without complications is approximately $4,649 (National healthcare payer database, 2015). Gore has used reasonable efforts to ensure the completeness and accuracy of the information contained herein as of the date this document was prepared. Gore is not liable for any claims or actions attributable to the use of this information, nor for any errors or omissions involved in the use of the information, or the results. Payment policies are variable depending on the payer, geographic location, and provider-specific contracts. The models provided here are for illustrative purposes only and are not intended to be indicative of payment from any payer.
- W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc. Migration Summary for GORE® VIABIL® Biliary Endoprosthesis and BOSTON SCIENTIFIC WALLFLEX Biliary RX Fully Covered Stent. Flagstaff, AZ: W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc; 2017. [Literature Summary]. AW0010-EN3.
- Krokidis M, Fanelli F, Orgera G, Bezzi M, Passariello R, Hatzidakis A. Percutaneous treatment of malignant jaundice due to extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: covered Viabil stent versus uncovered Wallstents. Cardiovascular & Interventional Radiology 2010;33(1):97-106.
- Kitano M, Yamashita Y, Tanaka K, et al. Covered self-expandable metal stents with an anti-migration system improve patency duration without increased complications compared with uncovered stents for distal biliary obstruction caused by pancreatic carcinoma: a randomized multicenter trial. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013 Nov;108(11):1713-22.