With more than 10 years of performance, over 600,000 devices implanted, and over 2,000 limbs studied, the GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft is a leading prosthetic bypass graft solution for proven clinical performance and low cumulative cost of care.
GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft
* Overall weighted average primary patency is based on data from 15 peer-reviewed publications meeting pre-determined inclusion criteria.
By substantially reducing acute graft thrombosis within hours after implantation, the CBAS Heparin Surface on the GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft provides clinical benefits that standard ePTFE grafts do not.1
50% reduction in risk of graft occlusion compared to standard ePTFE in critical limb ischemia (CLI) patients.2
Higher primary and secondary patency, and higher limb salvage for below-knee bypass compared to standard ePTFE from 1–3 years.3
Improved clinical outcomes
* Weighted average of GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft data.
** Weighted average of standard ePTFE data.
The GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft is a leading prosthetic bypass graft solution for proven clinical performance and low cumulative cost of care.
Low treatment cost
GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft: long-term value†
Improvement in amputation-free survival
Decrease in revision procedures
Decrease in average costs
† Based on the 3-year published clinical performance and economic model.
Lasting thromboresistance. Proven technology.7
CBAS Heparin Surface
The CBAS Heparin Surface of the GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft consists of a proprietary covalent end-point bond that preserves the active site, thus retaining heparin’s anticoagulant activity.
Performance-ready heparin active site.4, 6
Unmatched, persistent ability to take up antithrombin.1, 5
Improved surface hemocompatibility resulting from heparin availability and
Sustained heparin bioactivity8
Explant after 2,939 days
- Femoral to posterior tibial bypass with polyester Linton patch
- Distal anastomosis occluded
Explant after 1,553 days (> 4 years)
- Femoropopliteal bypass
In vivo canine carotid artery interposition model
The CBAS Heparin Surface of a 3 mm diameter GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft (top) remains free of thrombus, while the 3 mm diameter control ePTFE graft (bottom) is covered with thrombus in an acute two-hour in vivo canine carotid artery interposition model.
- Begovac PC, Thomson RC, Fisher JL, Hughson A, Gällhagen A. Improvements in GORE-TEX® Vascular Graft performance by Carmeda® BioActive Surface heparin immobilization. European Journal of Vascular & Endovascular Surgery 2003;25(5):432-437.
- Lindholt JS, Gottschalksen B, Johannesen N, et al. The Scandinavian PROPATEN® Trial – 1-year patency of PTFE vascular prostheses with heparin-bonded luminal surfaces compared to ordinary pure PTFE vascular prostheses – a randomized clinical controlled multi-centre trial. European Journal of Vascular & Endovascular Surgery 2011;41(5):668-673.
- GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft. W. L. Gore & Associates Web site. https://www.goremedical.com/propaten/references. Accessed May 15, 2019.
- Gore S, Andersson J, Biran R, Underwood C, Riesenfeld J. Heparin surfaces: impact of immobilization chemistry on hemocompatibility and protein adsorption. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials 2014;102(8):1817-1824.
- Freeman J, Chen A, Weinberg RJ, Okada T, Chen C, Lin PH. Sustained thromboresistant bioactivity with reduced intimal hyperplasia of heparin-bonded PTFE Propaten Graft in a chronic canine femoral artery bypass model. Annals of Vascular Surgery 2018;49:295-303.
- Biran R, Pond D. Heparin coatings for improving blood compatibility of medical devices. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2017;112:12-23.
- CBAS Heparin Surface. W. L. Gore & Associates Web site. https://www.goremedical.com/cbas/references. Accessed May 3, 2019.
- Biran R. Heparin Activity and Concentration Values from 52 and 96 Month Duration Clinical Explants of the GORE® PROPATEN® Vascular Graft. Flagstaff, AZ: W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc; 2011 [Work plan]. WP104647